Search This Blog

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Dining Room Mirror Update

Hi again,

Trying to make up for lost blogging time with a slew of posts before conference season gets in full swing.

Below is a picture of my very first DIY project - an IKEA mirror that I painted white and added tiles too, to mimic a mirror I couldn't afford.  It's been years and its (partially) survived a lot of moves, though I did have to replace the inner mirror a few times - shout out to Dulles Glass and Mirror, they have the best variety of custom mirror sizes at in stock prices and high quality shipping!
 

Anyway, some of the tiles had been hanging off for a while and I just didn't like the look of the mirror.  It didn't help that we hung it WAY too high and my husband didn't really want to move it again (yeah, I'm going to blame him, but really, it was heavy and I didn't really want to move it again either).  So...I started to source new mirrors and came across this one from Pottery Barn.






Beautiful, right?  But the price?  No.

So, I decided to make my own.  I threw out the mirror frame, but the mirror itself was still perfect for the wall, so I wanted to still use it.  I wasn't sure if I wanted silver or bronze for the frame, so I decided to start with using Wasi tape on the mirror.  I liked the look of it so much, I decided to stick with the Wasi tape and not do framing AT ALL.  I did have to source Wasi tape from multiple JOANN's who seemed to be the only place that had the metallic Wasi tape in a muted gold/bronze that the hubs and I could agree on.

Next we had to figure out how to hang the mirror with no backing.  Easy peasy - mirror clips from Home Deport.  We got two packs, for four on the bottom and four on the top, because this mirror was HEAVY.  Here's the final product!






I'm wondering how the Wasi tape will hold up over time, so I'll keep you updated.  On to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment