I have had these horrible chairs from IKEA for years. Originally they were beige and very uncomfortable. I dyed the cover a bright yellow a few years ago to go with my decor. They were still very uncomfortable, but at least they looked nice. Well, not anymore.
Enough was enough. I decided to reupholster the chair using some Pinspiration.
So I didn't use the exact same technique as the pin above, but it was a very useful pin. Here's the chair with the cover removed.
I actually covered the most difficult parts of the chair first, the edges, and then covered them with the big swatches of fabric. I got about 4 yards of fabric from Joann's - this teal is beautiful and sturdy. I am hopefully it will be less cat friendly than the sad yellow covers.
Again, next I covered the sides of the arms with big swatches of fabrics, followed by the front/back of the chair, folllowed by the seat. I only used scissors and my staple gun. I could've pulled the fabric a little tigher, as you can see in the picture below. It looks way better. I have them in my office/craft area.
I am working on redying the yellow covers to a similar dark teal color, since I like the fabric so much. We'll see how this holds up in the meantime.