Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2016

Recovering a dining room chair

I have had these horrible chairs from IKEA for years.  Originally they were beige and very uncomfortable.  I dyed the cover a bright yellow a few years ago to go with my decor.  They were still very uncomfortable, but at least they looked nice.  Well, not anymore.


Enough was enough.  I decided to reupholster the chair using some Pinspiration.

how to reupholster a wingback chair:

 So I didn't use the exact same technique as the pin above, but it was a very useful pin. Here's the chair with the cover removed.

I actually covered the most difficult parts of the chair first, the edges, and then covered them with the big swatches of fabric.  I got about 4 yards of fabric from Joann's - this teal is beautiful and sturdy.  I am hopefully it will be less cat friendly than the sad yellow covers.

Again, next I covered the sides of the arms with big swatches of fabrics, followed by the front/back of the chair, folllowed by the seat.  I only used scissors and my staple gun.  I could've pulled the fabric a little tigher, as you can see in the picture below.  It looks way better.  I have them in my office/craft area.

I am working on redying the yellow covers to a similar dark teal color, since I like the fabric so much.  We'll see how this holds up in the meantime.


No comments:

Post a Comment